WCY Health & Education Initiative Recent Employment Opportunity
Women Children Youth (WCY) Health and Education Initiative is an independent, local nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of women, children and Youth. WCY was established in 2018 and its mission is to save lives, improve nutrition and promote productive living for women, children and youth through adequate educational opportunities, quality Healthcare systems and improved economic empowerment opportunities in Nigeria towards the achievement of SDGs. We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria
Leadership and Operational management:
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Assure that WCY has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization & its activities
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Ensure that personnel, client, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials.
Project Planning And Management
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services.
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization & its mission and reflect the priorities of the Board.
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality.
- Ensuring that project goals and objectives are met in accordance with grant proposals.
- Coordinating monthly meetings and ongoing communication with partners and weekly meetings with internal staff.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
- Oversee the implementation of human resources policies, procedures, and practices including the development of job description for all staff.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Recruit, interview, and select staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization & its mission.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of Staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review.
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance.
Financial Planning And Management
- Work with staff and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fundraising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization.
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization.
- Jointly, with the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
Develop and expand local fundraising activities, with a strong focus on cultivating new – and leveraging existing – relationships with local foundations and individual donors.
- Build and manage a Board of Advisors to support the growth and sustainability of the Organization in Nigeria.
- Responsible for grants, major gifts, and other fundraising mechanisms. Identify new potential funding streams. Support national strategic objectives to increase funding streams, both regionally and nationally.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Elevate WCY’s profile, project its image and promote the WCY brand through engaged representation at conferences, meetings, education/ special events, media outreach, and public events
- Build and maintain relationships with local policymakers, union leaders, key stakeholders, interest groups, and elected officials
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs, and goals to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- MBBS/ BSc Social Sciences/ B Ed,/ Health (and Masters in Social Enterprise, Marketing, MPH, MBA or other related areas a huge Plus)
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/ voluntary organizations.
- Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, charities, taxation, CPP, EI, health coverage etc…
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization
- Knowledge of human resources management
- Knowledge of financial management
- Knowledge of project management
- Professional experience in Health or education, Health and education policy, community/campaign organizing, and/or advocacy
- Willingness to travel occasionally
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders, including a board of advisors
- Solid written and verbal communications skills
- Exceptional strategic planning skills.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills. Ability to critically assess challenges and identify effective solutions.
- Flexible, optimistic approach; committed to overcoming challenges.
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity. Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet.
- Visionary leader with the ability to engage others on the team
- Expertise at developing and sustaining corporate, foundational and civic/government relationships.
- High energy, passion, and commitment to WCY’s mission and vision.
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria
- The Program Officer is responsible to work as Lead for the overall management and implementation of project activities and will support the ED for implementing overall activities and synergizing the roles of the other respective project offices in an efficient way
- The primary responsibility of this portfolio is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for program.
- Responsible to support to initiate effect and coordinate implementation of all project activities in coordination with all relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare a detailed project implementation plan and coordinate the Implementation of the allocated activities and roles across the project offices.
- Prepare a detailed field trip plan, activity guideline (working with the Project Consultant) and/or field visit report and execute field trips to ensure timely completion of quality data collection and implementation of project objectives.
- Coordinate with project team members to ensure timely planning & implementation of activities, disbursement of resources, supervision & monitoring, logistics availability etc.
- Track progress and prepare monthly progress reports as well as statutory interim reports (Narrative and Financial) in coordination with relevant project staff.
- Responsible for the proper documentation and reporting of all activities with sufficient proof and evidence documents including any other relevant issues during execution of activities.
- Ensure regular communication and coordination with all project stakeholders and maintain clear communication with the ED and other project offices about the implementation and progress of the activities.
- Perform any other duties as required or requested by ED.
- A Degree in Social Sciences or related field
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience within the NGO sector
- Proven experience in program management
- Proven stakeholder management skills
- Proven experience managing team
- Experience using computers for a variety of tasks
- Competency in Microsoft word applications including Word, Excel and Power point
- Solid understanding of project management.
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria
The Account Officer is a management staff and will provide financial oversight to the Organization. The primary responsibility of the Accountant is to manage and monitor all project finances, including preparing and monitoring budgets, expenditures, manage procurement and support other logistical and administrative functions. This position will also work in collaboration with the Administration Officer and technical staffs to develop manage and monitor sub-awards in compliance with all applicable donor rules and regulations. This position will be based in the Bauchi Office of WCY Health and Education Initiative.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Prepare and review work-plan and other budgets for WCY
- Prepare all financial reports for WCY
- Track and monitor project expenditures against budget; including preparing monthly pipeline analyses for ED;
- Manage WCY charge codes and chart of accounts;
- Manage WCY Project accounts, including conducting internal pre-award assessments, reviewing monthly financial reports, coordinating reimbursements, posting approved expenditures,
- Develop and manage sub-award monitoring plans and conducting site visits to build financial management capacity and ensure compliance;
- Develop WCY procurement plan and oversee proper procurement procedures for supplies and equipment;
- Support and coordinate other operations activities including travel, logistics, other administrative tasks;
- Regularly review the status of WCY funds and prepares monthly cash requests;
- Post data into financial systems, ensuring that financial information is processed accurately and generates timely and reliable reports;
- Provide support as needed on bank reconciliations; and
- Conducts trainings for non-finance project staff as well as sub-recipient staff on financial and grants management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting, budgeting and fiscal control theory and practices. Budget monitoring and general ledger skills.
- Relevant software skills including automated accounting software, database spreadsheets and Management Information Systems.
- Resourceful through technology, research skills, and relationship building among several organization teams and units and professional organizations to resolve problems and initiate enhancements.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public health sector, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and community-based organizations (CBOs) in Nigeria is highly desirable.
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to respond to inquiries independently and follow-up on requests in an efficient manner.
- With minimal supervision, manage high volume of workflow efficiently.
- Ability to handle financial and quantitative information with accuracy and precision; resourceful in gathering, verifying and analyzing financial data as well as experience with computer spreadsheets.
- Ability to interpret financial information and reports
- Ability to work collaboratively, productively and sensitively within a multidiscipline, multicultural and multi-gender environment.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication.
- Well-developed computer skills.
Qualifications And Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance with at least 2 years’ experience with international development programs
- Or MS/MA degree in public Accounting, Finance, business administration, or its recognized equivalent with 2 years’ relevant experience with international development programs
- Experience with donor-funded projects, particularly USAID and/or PEPFAR; and experience working in an NGO environment desirable;
- Ability to work both independently and in teams, within a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
Note: This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Finance and Administrative Assistant
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria
- The Finance and Administration Assistant is responsible for supporting financial, administration, logistics and procurement for the organization.
- She/he will support the achievement of WCY goals in a manner consistent with financial principles and maintain functions such as general accounting, financial tasks, and accounting records.
- She/he will word process general correspondence, answer phone calls and perform other administrative duties as needed.
- Respond to queries promptly and in a friendly manner
- Collaborate with Managers to ensure systems are in place to support administrative functions of WCY
- Maintain appointment diary either manually or electronically
- Keep and maintain the reception area
- Receive and distribute messages from telephone/email as appropriate, taking clear messages and passing these promptly to the appropriate member of the team using judgment of urgency
- Provide reception duties on behalf of the team, which involves face-to-face contact for visitors in a responsive and courteous manner
- Provide support for implementation of all Administrative Systems.
- Daily Register: Maintain Daily Sign-In and Sign-Out Register for all Staff
- Documentation and Filing System: Maintain hard and soft Filing System to manage in-coming and out-going Faxes and E-mails to maintain accurate and updated subject files for correspondence; maintain a data base of WCY Contacts and revise as needed.
- Receive and record incoming deliveries of equipment, handing out free documentation, sending and receiving fax messages
- Catalogue and maintain library of technical resources, i.e., manuals, textbooks, Policy books, etc.
- Provide support for administration needs
- Supports review of Monthly Bank Statements, verify deposits, handle discrepancies and problems
- Supports preparation of Monthly Financial Statements, i.e., Monthly Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Report on Budget Variance
- Supports the design and implementation of Finance Controls as needed
- Supports revision of fixed assets and all other financial documents as needed
- Assist outside auditors at year end including preparation of schedule and invoices; and explain support materials and procedures
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree/HND and 1 years of experience in Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong analytical, planning, and forecasting skills
- Proven record in negotiating diplomatically
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and demanding timeframes
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent spoken and written English and local language
Interested and qualified candidates should submit by e-mail only an application Letter and a CV as one single word document to: email@example.com on or before close of business Tuesday 30th September, 2019
- On the subject line of your email you should only put the Job Title (no other text should be on this subject line) that you are applying.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as they see this advert. Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.